Saturday, May 12, 2018

Our Love of God

Hi All
I was contemplating a 'Daily Reading' note from the eminent preacher and Theologian J Sidlow Baxter this morning and was touched by the teaching he sought to give.
(If you are ever looking for a Daily Reading programme then I recommend Baxters book 'Awake my Heart' (ISBN 978-0-8254-2175-4)).

The subject was Christ's interaction  with the disciple Peter and his restoration after the resurrection -
John 21.

For the Christian there is the Authority of God's Word in our lives and subsequently the obedience to its teaching by the Power of the Holy Spirit to bring about a blessed existence here on earth.
Yet if a believer has the thought of having to obey God rather than wanting to obey God then life becomes less bless.

To note what Jesus said to Peter makes this a bit clearer:
John 21:15-17
(15)  So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
(16)  He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
(17)  He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.


Note what comes first before we live our lives for the Glory of God:
'lovest thou me?'

For a believer to live their lives in the joyous privilege of being 'in Christ' He must be put first in everything because 'He first loved us':
1 John 4:19  
(19) We love him, because he first loved us.

May we all have the same desire of the Apostle Paul:
Philippians 1:21
(21)  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

The only way a Blood Bought, Blood Washed believer wants to live is with Jesus Christ as preeminent and not just prominent.

Praying for the Church in these days of Apostasy

Pastor Peter Skillen
braehillbaptist@gmail.com

No comments: